The ESWW Programme Committee
What are the duties of the PC members?- To participate in the PC meetings
- To take actions in support of the ESWW organisation
- To advertise the ESWW
- To participate in the ESWW
It is not required to attend all PC meetings as conflicts may occur. However, the PC members should make all reasonable efforts to attend these meetings.
What are the duties of the Chair?- To coordinate, organise and lead the PC meetings
- To publish the announcements of the ESWWs
- Liaise with the LOC chair to ensure full coordination
- To ensure that all required tasks are defined as action items for identified PC members and verify that these are executed in time.
What are the duties of the vice-Chair?- To support the Chair as needed
- To handle the responsibilities of the chair when he/she is unavailable
Who belongs to the PC?The PC shall be constituted with a balanced number of representatives of the European scientific and engineering communities active in Space Weather. In addition, end user* representatives shall be considered for nomination. Members shall be nominated on the basis of individual expertise and understood to not represent the interests of a given company/organisation within this forum.
In addition, and in order to represent organisations taking an active role in structuring European space weather activities, ex officio members shall be invited from each of the following organisations/entities:
- The Space Weather Working Team
- The SWSC journal
- The ESA SSA Programme Office, Space Weather Segment
- The International Space Environment Service
Inclusion of additional entities in this list shall be considered annually and approved by member vote.
The chairperson of the LOC shall also be an ex-officio member of the PC.
All active members of the European space weather community shall be eligible for membership of the ESWW PC. Applicants should approach an existing member of the PC stating their interest** prior to the annual ESWW. All received applications shall be reviewed during the ESWW against the above rules, and the candidates shall be informed within 2 weeks of the event.
Organization of the PCThe PC meets typically 4 times per year: in January/February, June/July, in September and during the ESWW. These (and more if needed) meetings may be organised through teleconferences.
The PC members elect the chair of the next session every year during the ESWW PC meeting. The Chair must be a serving member of the PC for a minimum 2 years before nomination. The previous chair becomes vice chair in order to maintain the continuity. The chair shall rotate each year amongst the participants, including the ex-officio members. PC membership shall be for a period of 4 years, with the exception of ex-officio members. Membership renewal for a further period of 4 years shall be possible. The number of PC members in total shall not exceed 16 plus ex-officio members.
The chair of the LOC shall not be eligible for the position of PC Chair. Consequently, the nominations for the following year's PC chair shall be collected by the LOC chair, at least 1 week in advance of the ESWW. A PC chair may serve for a maximum of 2 consecutive ESWWs.
Organisation of the PC meetingsThe provisional agenda of the PC meetings shall be circulated at least 2 weeks in advance of a meeting by the chair person. At the beginning of each PC meeting, a secretary is appointed on a voluntary basis. The secretary will produce the minutes of the meeting. The minutes of the previous meeting are then open for modifications and approved by a vote. They are then made available for future reference via the spaceweather.eu portal.
* End users constitute any group/organisation making use of space weather data and services. Fields include but are not limited to spacecraft operation, spacecraft design, space and ground based telecoms and navigation services, power distribution, pipeline operation, aviation safety and civil contingency planning.
**candidates may wish to provide a short summary of their main interests and activities in space weather, along with their motivation for joining the PC.